SIR-TS360 How To Scan Off Air And Cable TV Channels With Your SIRTS360.
The Guide in your DIRECTV® HD receiver can receive programming information for local and cable channels via satellite. Your DIRECTV® HD receiver can also add over the air (OTA) and cable TV channels to the Guide by scanning for signals from any OTA antenna or cable TV service you have connected to your DIRECTV® HD receiver. You can use your remote control to tune in any channel - satellite, OTA, or cable - that appears in the Guide.
Note 1: To receive OTA HDTV or standard broadcasts, you must attach your set top box to a good outdoor antenna.
Note 2: If you are not getting all the channels you think you should be getting, re-scan following the directions below. Use the All setting in Step 4.
To scan for channels from an OTA antenna or a standard cable TV service connected to your DIRECTV® HD receiver, follow these steps:
- Press the MENU button on your remote control.
- Highlight the Setup menu item, and then press the SELECT button.
- Highlight the Antenna & Cable menu item, and then press the SELECT button.
- Highlight the Scan Type menu item, and then press the SELECT button to display the list of available channel types. The Scan Type list appears.
Note: The Scan Type list lets you set your DIRECTV® HD receiver to scan automatically for channels from Digital sources (OTA ATSC broadcasts), OTA NTSC sources (standard TV broadcasts), Cable NTSC (standard cable TV services), or all of these. If this is the first time you are setting up this DIRECTV® HD Receiver to receive local channels, use the All setting. Otherwise, select the specific Scan Type listing.
- Highlight the Scan Type that matches the type of broadcasts you would like to program into your DIRECTV® HD receiver, and then press the SELECT button.
- Set your cable TV type by highlighting the Cable Type menu item and pressing SELECT.
- Highlight the type of cable signal your cable TV service provides (STD, HRC, or IRC), and press the SELECT button.
Note: STD, HRC and IRC are signal formats used by cable TV services. Contact your Cable TV service provider to determine which signal type they use.
- Highlight the Scan Channels menu item, and then press the SELECT button. The Scan Channels screen appears and the DIRECTV® HD receiver automatically starts looking for all available channels of the type you specified in the Scan Type list. Wait until the scan is completed.
- If the automatic scan included any channels that you do not intend to watch, you can edit the channel list by using the Add/Remove Channels menu item in the Antenna & Cable menu.
- If any of the OTA antenna channels appear out-of-tune, you can fine tune them using the Fine Tune Channels item in the Antenna & Cable menu.
- If you have added digital channels from an OTA antenna, you can check the signal strength for that channel by using the Digital OTA Signal Strength menu item in the Antenna & Cable menu.
- To exit the Menu system press the EXIT button on your remote control.
Note: There is no way to scan channels manually. You must use the automatic scan. If the set top box is not finding a broadcast station, and you're sure you should be able to receive it, you may need to adjust the antenna or try a stronger antenna, and then rescan.