Laptop Turns On But Does Not Boot
If your laptop exhibits the following behavior:
- Is displaying a blank/black screen with a blinking cursor but no image.
- Attempts to Boot, displays the Samsung screen but does not load Windows.
This issue is more commonly associated with a Windows update, for example: The laptop initiates a Windows update and while the update is occurring the laptop goes into Sleep mode. Then when attempting to Resume/Wake the laptop from Sleep mode the laptop only displays a blank/black with a blinking cursor or the Samsung screen. The laptop also may or may not display the mouse pointer.
If you are experiencing this issue, follow these steps:
- Remove any CD's, DVD's, or Flash Drives from the device.
- Force the laptop to shut down by Pressing and Holding the Power button.
- Don’t worry; forcing a shutdown will not harm the laptop.
- Power On the laptop and access the BIOS Setup Utility by Pressing F2.
- If you fail to access the BIOS Setup Utility, shut down the laptop and try again.
- Once you have accessed the BIOS Setup Utility, Press F9 to "Load default configuration now", and then Enter to select Yes.
- Press F10 then Enter to "Save configuration changes and exit now".
- Allow the laptop to restart normally, and then Restart the laptop.
If you were unable to access the BIOS, your laptop requires service. Please click the "Create Online Service Request" button below to begin the service process.
If you were able to access the BIOS, but it did not resolve the problem, you will need to perform a complete restore. Restart your computer and then press F4 repeatedly to access the Samsung Recovery Solution. For instructions ion performing a complete restore, select the correct link below:
- If your laptop was pre-installed with Windows 8, click here to perform a recovery with the Recovery Software.
- If you are using Windows 7, Vista, XP, or you have upgraded your computer to Windows 8, click here to perform a Complete Restore using Samsung Recovery Solution.
If the problem persists, your laptop requires service. Please click the "Create Online Service Request" button below to begin the service process.